Bacon and Veggie Slice Recipe
We often look to alternatives to sandwiches here at LBWHQ, and a perennial favourite that we can’t go past is a good old-fashioned bacon and veggie slice.
Usually containing grated zucchini, these slices are lunch box classics for children and adults alike. This slice contains more than just zucchini and bacon though, with capsicum, carrot and cheese completing the tasty line up with loads of flavour and important vitamins and nutrients.
Here’s what you’ll need to whip up a batch of this delicious bacon and veggie slice.
Bacon, eggs, cheese, carrot, zucchini, capsicum, milk and self-raising flour. That’s it! This recipe calls for four shortcut bacon rashers but I used six, because bacon! You can never have too much bacon. Ever. ‘Too much’ bacon is not a thing.
Chop the bacon and capsicum into one centimetre square pieces (no need to get your ruler out) and fry them in a frying pan until the bacon is cooked and the capsicum has softened. Remove from heat and allow to cool a little.
Meanwhile, grate the zucchini, carrot and cheese into a large bowl.
Add the flour and bacon mixture to the bowl of grated veg and cheese and stir well to combine. Form a well in the centre.
Combine the milk and eggs in a jug and whisk with a fork to combine. Pour into the centre of the bowl.
Stir the batter together being careful not to overmix. It will come together quickly and easily anyway.
Pour the mixture into a rectangular slice tin that has been sprayed with oil and lined with a sheet of baking paper hanging over the sides. You’ll need that extra baking paper over the sides to help remove the slice from the tin later.
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool for five minutes, then run a knife along the edges without baking paper overhanging to prevent sticking and remove to a cooling rack.
Cut into squares and serve warm or cold. This versatile slice can be made with any leftover veggies you prefer – think corn, shallots, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, or peas. You could also use fetta cheese instead of bacon if you like. So many options!
The slice is pictured here with our ever-popular Yumbox Original – Leakproof Compartment Lunch Box in Empire Blue.
Enjoy this slice with a salad for a perfect light lunch everyone will love.
- 4-6 shortcut bacon rashers, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 carrot, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line a 30 x 20cm slice pan with baking paper, extending paper at long sides for handles.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over moderate heat. Add bacon and capsicum. Cook, stirring, 5 minutes or until capsicum is tender. Cool slightly.
- Combine bacon mixture, zucchini, carrot, cheese and flour in a bowl. Make a well at centre. Whisk eggs and milk in a jug. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir until just combined. Do not over-mix. Pour into prepared pan and level surface.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean. Stand in pan 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, to cool slightly. Cut to serve.