Cheesy Potato and Broccoli Soup Recipe
As the weather cools, there is nothing better than a delicious hot lunch in the middle of the day, and this cheesy potato and broccoli soup fits that bill perfectly.
This soup is creamy and cheesy with chunks of tender potato and bits of bacon on top – can you see where this is headed? It tastes a little bit like a potato bake, just in soup form! Plus you have a veggie boost with loads of tender carrot and broccoli thrown in as well. Absolutely delicious and oh-so easy to make. Here’s how.
You’ll need these ingredients to make the soup: broccoli, potatoes, carrots, chicken stock, salt, pepper, onion powder, milk, cheese, butter, flour and some crispy bacon to sprinkle on top.
Place the chicken stock on a stove top in a big saucepan and bring to the boil with the potatoes and carrots. Simmer for ten minutes.
Then add the broccoli. It looks like a lot, but it really is the perfect amount.
While that is cooking, make up a cheesy white sauce with the milk, flour and butter. Then it’s simply a matter of pouring the cheesy sauce into the soup and giving it a good stir through.
Serve with crusty bread and some crispy bacon sprinkled on top.
And for a perfect lunch at work or school, pour some of your cheesy potato and broccoli soup into a Japanese Insulated Food Jar. It will keep your soup piping hot until lunch time with ease.
- 1L (4 cups) chicken stock
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 heads broccoli (washed and cut into small florets)
- 60 grams butter
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3½ cups milk
- 4 cups grated tasty cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 3 rashers of bacon, cooked and chopped
- In a large pot combine chicken stock, carrots, potatoes and onion powder. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli, cover and simmer for an additional 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large sauce pan. Whisk in the flour and cook for another minute. Whisk in milk and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat, add cheese and stir until it is all melted. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour cheese sauce into the large pot and stir until well combined.
- Season to taste and serve topped with bacon pieces and lots of crusty bread.