Chewy Banana & Chia Cookies – the Perfect Healthy Lunchbox Treat!
Now that Christmas is over and done with, it’s time for me to get started on my back to school baking routine! I like to have a nice little stash of baked goodies in the freezer ready for lunches and to snack on throughout the holidays, and the healthier the better!
These chewy banana chia cookies are perfect in that regard. They contain very little fat and sugar and taste like chewy banana muesli bars in cookie form. My kids love them, and so do I.
They don’t take very long to make — just mix and drop onto a baking tray and pop them in the oven for twenty minutes. It’s as simple as that.
Here is what you’ll need to make this tasty little treat for your family:
Chia seeds, sultanas, vanilla essence, canola oil, an egg, golden syrup, walnuts, rolled oats, wholemeal self raising flour and a ripe mashed banana.
Place all of the wet ingredients in a bowl and mix together until well combined.
Add the dry ingredients and stir together until the mixture is good and sticky.
It will look something like this:
Drop tablespoons of the mixture onto a baking paper-lined tray and press gently with a fork to flatten slightly.
Bake for twenty minutes and then remove to a cooling rack until completely cooled. Place in an airtight container and enjoy fresh, or freeze them and add them to your lunchboxes as required.
These lovely little cookies will keep for up to a week at room temperature in a sealed container or up to six months in a ziplock bag in the freezer, making them perfect lunchbox fillers.
I hope you enjoy them as much as my family does!
Chewy banana and chia cookies are pictured here with our best selling Yumbox Panino lunchbox in Brooklyn Green.
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 1/4 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 180C. Prepare two baking trays with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, place the mashed banana, egg, golden syrup, vanilla and oil. Mix well to combine.
- Add flour, rolled oats, sultanas, walnuts and chia seeds and stir until well combined.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of mixture onto prepared baking trays and flatten slightly with a fork.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown.